Friday 25 November 2011

First Project Part II

So this here is what my first landscape in acrylics looks like after the first round of painting. I was meaning to just put down thin layers of mid-toned colours to act as a basis on which to paint lighter or darker paint, but I got rather... carried away. 
What I got rather carried away with was doing the sky, and painted waaaay more detail of the tones than I meant to before remembering that I had meant to take pictures of at least every other step. So the land is very simple, and the sky is mostly done. I worked wet-into-wet for the most part, especially on the sky , but the long dry grass (the yellow on the left hand side) was a case of putting down a thin layer of Yellow Ochre, followed up by a drybrush with a hog-bristle brush of Burnt Umber. I found that I loved the combination of layers of golden yellow and the scumbled purple (Alizarin crimson + Ultramarine + Umber) clouds. I was really making a conscious effort to do the hills in increasingly washed light, pastel colours as they move towards the horizon, to make use of aerial perspective.

More details next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment