Wednesday 4 January 2012

Some of my projects

I've been guilty of neglecting the art intention of this blog a little, but here I present a few of the things I've been working on. 
 The warm  (averaging 9 degrees or so this week) wet weather here in Scotland this winter has caused fungi to sprout everywhere, which continues to delight and fascinate me. I didn't get the chance to do the macro shots I wanted, but next time, dammit, next time.

 This is my very first attempt with oils - a crude, unplanned sketch on a cheap canvas. I find I like the texture of oil paint and I can see me spending a lot of time with oils in the future. A more serious discussion on oil painting  and the way that I am trying to work is set for an upcoming post.

 The outline for a whimsy in watercolour. I think it's going to be an interesting experiment in simple forms and bright colours, but I can't help the feeling that I've got to go weirder.

A sketch in black coloured pencil that I tossed off on the bus home. For style,  I've been working on more solid lines and clearer, simplified subjects. I don't have the kind of control I want with coloured pencil, as it feels a little strange, but I think I'm slowly learning to use it with a bit more dexterity.

For a wee while I'm going to be focussing on the oils to get a grip on them. I know it's generally regarded as a massively complex technique, that requires at least months of academic education and intense technical study to even approach, but I don't have that. What I do have is paint, brushes, some canvas, some time and a fistful of determination, and dammit, I can work with this!

Anyway, that's probably enough excuses for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment